Love a cool summer pasta salad? Here is one of the best around. So many flavors and perfect for any BBQ or picnic.
I love making all kinds of pasta salads in the summertime and my favorite one is a Tri-Color Summer Pasta Salad. My mom started making this salad so many years ago for my father after his heart attack. I enjoyed it so much, I now make it all the time. The only recipe my brother asks me to make for him.
My mother modified the original recipe to use tri-color pasta and change out the salami by using turkey pepperoni. She also used Olive Oil instead of vegetable oil and skim milk mozzarella. Trying to keep the fat content down as much as possible for my dad. The only change I made recently was not using packaged Italian Dry dressing and started making my own version from scratch.
One thing neither one of us changed was the sugar. I’m sure you could use a substitute, but we still love that sweet taste in the dressing.
Some of the items in the recipe aren’t exact measurements because this recipe came from my mom and she would just put in what she thought it needed. I remember when I started cooking on my own and asking her for a recipe, she would say “use some of this or that” instead of using measurements. It’s hard to learn to cook with instructions like that, but now, I do that too.
- 10 to 14 oz tri-colored pasta
- 1 can of black olives chopped
- 2 small cans of mushrooms chopped
- 8 oz Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 small green pepper chopped
- 1/2 package of Turkey Pepperoni
- Black Pepper
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 pkg. Good Seasons Italian dry dressing or 2 tbsp of Homemade Italian Dressing Mix
- Mix dressing ingredients and stir well to melt sugar and set aside.
- Prepare pasta per package instructions. Run cold water over pasta to cool off and drain well. In a large bowl mix pasta and other salad ingredients. Pour dressing over the top and mix well.
- Let stand in the fridge for a few hours or overnight until cold. Mix well before serving.
HOMEMADE ITALIAN DRESSING MIX
- 1 tbsp garlic salt
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1/4 tsp celery salt
- 2 tbsp salt
- Mix together and store in tight container. If made with any fresh herbs, use immediately.
* * * *
I’m just a country girl loving my geeky life with my wonderful husband, always taking pictures, getting my hands dirty in the garden, being crafty, exploring with travels and enjoying all this on a budget. But above all, living my faith as a child of God!