I love to make pasta with red sauce and meatballs for dinner. One of my favorite comfort foods. But, Mr. G isn’t a really big fan of tomato sauce. Oh, he likes spaghetti sauce, but he wants a LOT of meat in it. I mean, he wants to see more meat then sauce. Meaty Ziti fits that meaty want.
I also served a simple green salad with Newman’s Own Ceasar Lite Dressing and some Easy Italian Breadsticks in the Bread Machine which are out of this world good.
- 1 pound ziti (can sub penne) pasta
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 pound of Italian flavored sausage
- 1 jar of Pasta Sauce
- Chopped Onion to taste
- ½ pound of mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to directions until the pasta is al denteâ??edible but still a little firm. Drain the pasta through a colander. Toss with a little olive oil so the pasta does not stick together while you make the sauce.
- Brown well sausage and ground meat. Add the onions and stir well to combine. SautÃ© everything until the onions are translucent and beginning to brown, about 4-5 minutes. Then add the tomato sauce and stir well. Bring to a simmer.
- Preheat the oven to 350Â°F. Spread pasta on the bottom of a 9×13-inch casserole pan, then layer half of the mozzarella cheese. Layer on the pasta and then the rest of the mozzarella cheese. Last, layer the parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. I have found if I cover this it keeps the cheese from burning and drying out the casserole since the meat sauce is so thick.
I didn’t tell Mr. G what I was making for supper and when I brought it out of the oven, he gave it a quick glance and asked, “How much tomato sauce did you use?”
He really did love this recipe and said it was “A Keeper”. When I hear those 2 words, I know I will be making this recipe again. The sauce was perfect for his taste.
* * * *