Easy potato soup recipe made even easier by cooking in the slow cooker. So yummy, creamy, and topped with bacon on a winters day.
What is it about a vegetable that grows in the dirt and is one of America’s favorite things to eat? There is just something about potatoes that makes virtually every meal good and is so good in soup and stews.
There is just something about potatoes that makes virtually every meal good and is especially good in soup and stews.
I think most of my soups have potatoes in them and Slow Cooker Cheesy Potato Soup is no exception. The original recipe is from Betty Crocker and uses frozen potatoes, but I prefer to use fresh potatoes.
I have used a potato masher on the potatoes a few times after it is finished cooking to make it not so chunky (just smash them right in the slow cooker before serving), but either way, it’s still hardy and yummy.
I have used white and red potatoes, but I think the white potatoes might have a bit more starch in them which will help thicken this soup up naturally and they cook faster it seems. I always leave the skin on for the extra vitamins and fiber.
Instant Pot Version:
Add the first 7 ingredients and cook on Manual setting for 15 minutes. Let the pressure release by itself or manually before you remove the lid. Mash mixture with a potato masher, if desired. Stir in cheese and cream. Serve with chives and sour cream!
Oh, and the toppings will just put this soup over the top. Especially the bacon. This is truly a man’s soup!
Slow Cooker Cheesy Potato Soup
- 6 large baking potatoes peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1- quart chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic minced (or pressed)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cream or half-and-half cream
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 cup sour cream optional
- 8 slices bacon fried & crumbled
- cheese for sprinkling
- Combine first seven ingredients in a large crockpot; cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours (potato should be tender).
- Mash mixture until potatoes are coarsely chopped and is slightly thickened. Stir in cream, cheese, and chives.
- Top with sour cream (if used), sprinkle with bacon and more cheese.
You May Also Like:
Instant Pot Pantry Chili
Hearty Hamburger Soup
Black Eyed Pea & Sausage Soup
* * * *
I’m just a country girl loving my geeky life with my wonderful husband, always taking pictures, getting my hands dirty in the garden, being crafty, exploring with travels and enjoying all this on a budget. But above all, living my faith as a child of God!