Need an easy soup recipe for dinner? How about a Hearty Hamburger soup with ingredients you probably already have.
I made this hearty soup the other day when I was searching for something to make for dinner. We were having a chilly week and it just felt like a soup day. So Hearty Hamburger Soup was created.
My mom would make hamburger soup all the time and she would usually make her recipe version with items that were in the fridge. That’s what I love about this recipe. You really don’t have to follow it. Except for the basics.
Instant Pot Version:
Cook the beef, onions, and garlic on the Saute setting until done. Turn Saute setting off. Add other ingredients and cook on the Manual setting for 15 minutes. Let the pressure release by itself or manually before you remove the lid. Serve!
Did you know you can also use your Instant Pot as a slow cooker? Just get the Instant Pot Glass Top and use the Slow Cook setting.
I usually add a bit of cheddar cheese on top and that makes it Cheeseburger Soup. Kids will love this quick and easy soup. Serve with a grilled cheese and they will love you forever!!
Hearty Hamburger Soup
- 2-½ pounds ground beef as lean as possible
- 1 whole large onion diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can 14.5 ounces can of diced tomatoes
- 3 cups beef broth plus more if needed
- 4 whole carrots diced
- 5 whole potatoes cut into chunks
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 tsp parsley
- ½ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp of Cayenne Pepper or to taste
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, brown the meat with the onion, celery, and garlic. Remove the pot from the heat and drain off as much fat as you can.
- Return the pot to the heat and add the rest of the ingredients. Stir to combine, then bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, then cover the pot and simmer the soup for 15-20 more minutes, until potatoes are tender but not overly mushy.
- If you want to cook in the crock pot, leave potatoes out until the last hour of cooking so they don't get mushy.
- You can also cook this soup in the Instant Pot. Sear the meat until done. Add the next ingredients and set Manual for 15 minutes.
Don’t Forget to Pin Me!
* * * *
I’m just a country girl loving my geeky life with my wonderful husband, always taking pictures, getting my hands dirty in the garden, being crafty, exploring with travels and enjoying all this on a budget. But above all, living my faith as a child of God!