If you love the flavor of Mexican food, then you will love this Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup. It is so cheesy and good!
I love making soup this time of the year. It just makes me so warm and yummy but the best part is it’s so easy to make in the slow cooker. I found this recipe in the back of my old recipe box and it has quickly become one of my hubby’s favorites. Anytime I get thumbs up approval from Mr. G, then I know its good.
With this recipe, you can change up the toppings to whatever you love (cheddar cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips) and by using your slow cooker, it does all the work for you. If you love the flavors of enchiladas and fork tender chicken and cheesy goodness, then you will adore this recipe as much as we do.
Instant Pot Version:
Cook the peppers, onions, and garlic on the Saute setting until done. Turn Saute setting off. Add other ingredients (except for soup toppings) and cook on the Manual setting for 15 minutes. Let the pressure release by itself or manually before you remove the lid. Serve!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 small green or red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- coarse salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 can 11 ounces Ro-tel diced tomatoes & green chiles
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/4 pds boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cups corn
- 1 can black beans optional
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 1/2 shredded sharp cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack plus more for serving
- 1 cup sour cream plus more for serving
- tortilla chips for serving
- In a medium skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions, peppers, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until softened, stirring often, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile to your crock-pot add the Ro-tel, chicken broth, chicken, corn, black beans (if using), chili powder, cumin, oregano and 1 teaspoon coarse salt or 1/2 teaspoon fine and about 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Mix in the cooked onions, peppers and garlic.
- Cook on high 3 - 4 hour or low 5 - 6. Remove the chicken breasts to a cutting board. Stir the cheese and sour cream into the soup. Shred the chicken or cut into bite-sized pieces and add back to the pot. Taste and season as needed. Cook 1 more hour on low heat.
- Serve garnished with more cheese, sour cream or tortilla chips.
* * * *
I’m just a country girl loving my geeky life with my wonderful husband, always taking pictures, getting my hands dirty in the garden, being crafty, exploring with travels and enjoying all this on a budget. But above all, living my faith as a child of God!