Say no to take out pizza and make your own easy Deep Pan Pizza made in a cast-iron skillet. Layers of meats, cheeses, and a golden crust.
I’m a southern raised girl and have only heard of the epic deep pan pizzas made in Chicago. They look really good and I hope someday I will be able to enjoy one of those bad boys.
But, in the meantime, I wanted to make my own version. A much easier version.
I knew I wanted to use my Lodge cast iron skillet so I would get the best golden crust that won’t stick. I also don’t have the time or skills to make my own crust so I use either one already made that I can get at my local Publix or the Pillsbury pizza crust which comes in a tube. Use whichever crust is the easiest for you and what you can find in your area.
For the meat, I used sausage, ground beef, and turkey pepperoni. I’ve used turkey pepperoni for so many years now because there is a lot less fat but still has loads of flavor. I can also imagine this pizza made with Italian sausage, ham, shredded chicken or any other type of meat.
TIP: After I cook my sausage and ground beef, I will pour the cooked meat into a metal colander which is in the sink and run hot water over it to wash off most of the grease. If you are trying to control the amount of fat you consume, this is a great way to remove most of it. This process will also keep your crust from getting soggy from the extra grease.
For the sauce, once again, I went easy. I buy the jar version of pizza sauce. I used mozzarella and parmesan cheeses, but there are so many other cheeses out there to use also. The veggies consisted of green peppers and onions which I sliced and sauted first.
There are so many different options to make this deep pan pizza your own.
Skillet Deep Pan Pizza
- 8 oz Pizza sauce
- 1 can Pillsbury pizza crust
- 1/2 lb Sausage
- 1/2 lb Ground beef
- 1/2 cup Green bell peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup Onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup Turkey pepperoni slices
- 1/2 cup Black olives, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat oven 400 degrees
- Cook sausage and ground beef until done in a separate skillet. Drain off grease and set aside. Saute green peppers and onions until just soft.
- Unroll dough in a 10" cast iron skillet and press on the bottom and up the sides. Tuck in the excess around the edges. Spoon the pizza sauce over the bottom and sprinkle 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese on top.
- Spoon the meat over the cheese and top with the sauteed veggies, pepperoni, sliced olives. Top with remaining cheeses.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes for easier serving of each slice.
You May Also like:
Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
Skillet Blueberry Cobbler
* * * *
I’m just a country girl loving my geeky life with my wonderful husband, always taking pictures, getting my hands dirty in the garden, being crafty, exploring with travels and enjoying all this on a budget. But above all, living my faith as a child of God!