Chicken Pot Pie is a classic recipe the whole family enjoys and the ultimate comfort food. Learn how to make this easy chicken pot pie recipe and you will never go back to store-bought again.
Chicken Pot Pie has been around since who knows how long, but its such a great meal for the whole family. You could also use turkey in place of chicken around Thanksgiving. One can only eat so many turkey sandwiches, right?
I love how easy this recipe is to make because you don’t have to make a crust. The secret is frozen puff pastry which is used only on top. A really flaky crust filled with shredded chicken, vegetables, and a yummy sauce. It tastes so much like home.
I love baking this recipe in my Lodge Skillet and it makes such a beautiful presentation. Doesn’t matter if the crust is in a perfect circle or not. It really looks homemade.
The key to a beautiful crust is to do the egg wash. If not, it doesn’t brown very nicely and you end up with burned spots. And don’t forget to cut the vents or you will have the filling oozing out the sides and what a mess that is to clean up in the oven.
Make Your Own Shredded Chicken
You can use Rotisserie chicken for this recipe, but I love making a batch of shredded chicken using the Instant Pot. Place 4 frozen chicken breasts in the Instant Pot with 1 cup of water and season with salt and pepper. Set the Manual timer for 10 minutes and when they are finished cooking, let the steam naturally release completely. That really makes the chicken moist. What I don’t use, I will put in freezer bags for the next chicken recipe. The chicken broth can also be stored and used later.
Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
- 3 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1½ cups green beans, canned or fresh cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1½ cups coarsely chopped yellow onion
- 1½ cups coarsely chopped carrot
- 1 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh sage
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ 17.3-ounce package frozen puff pastry thawed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp water
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, melt butter or oil over medium-high heat. Add beans, onion, carrot, and celery; cook until softened for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Sprinkle flour over vegetables and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in 2 cups reserved broth and cream. stirring constantly until mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat. Stir in chicken, parsley, thyme, sage, salt, and pepper.
- For the crust roll puff pastry into a 10-inch square on a lightly floured surface. Place over hot chicken mixture, letting excess extend over sides of skillet. If there is too much hanging over the edge, just tuck it under. Press the pastry lightly to the skillet edge. Whisk together egg and 1 teaspoon water in a small bowl. Brush pastry with egg mixture. Cut 4 vents on the top of the dough to release steam. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brush underside of pastry corners with egg mixture.
- Bake until filling is bubbly and crust is puffed and golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
You May Also Like:
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
Chicken Avocado Quesadilla
Butter Garlic Baked Chicken
* * * *
I’m just a country girl loving my geeky life with my wonderful husband, always taking pictures, getting my hands dirty in the garden, being crafty, exploring with travels and enjoying all this on a budget. But above all, living my faith as a child of God!