The most amazing, delicious, moist and oh so dark chocolaty homemade cake recipe you will ever make. If you love the taste of dark chocolate, you must try this recipe.
I haven’t found anything more comforting than chocolate cake. It has to be one of my favorite things to eat. The classic combo of moist dark chocolate cake and rich dark chocolate frosting is the best! I can’t wait until my birthday comes around each year to make this cake for us to enjoy.
I have been a chocoholic as long as I can remember. But, I’m also a chocolate hog, which means I’m a bit picky about what kind of chocolate I love the eat. My favorite chocolate taste is dark chocolate. Even in candy and candy bars. If I find a recipe with chocolate flavor in it, I will use dark chocolate cocoa powder virtually every time. To me, it seems the dark chocolate flavor will help keep the sweetness down in some recipes. I have been using Hersheys Special Dark Chocolate Cocoa Powder many years and its easy to find at your local grocery store.
My mom gave me this 3 layer recipe of chocolate heaven many years ago and I gave it my twist of changing out the unsweetened chocolate cocoa to dark chocolate cocoa powder. It makes a wonderful elegant display and is perfect for a dinner party or gathering.
Making this recipe does take a little time to mix up, bake and let cool before you can put the frosting on. Give yourself a few hours and it will turn out perfectly. Remember to never ice a cake unless it is completely cooled or you will have a cake mess on your hands.
TIP: Cocoa powder is very fine and when mixing it with the other ingredients, add a little bit at a time and mixing on low speed to keep the cocoa powder dust from flying all over the place.
Dark Chocolate Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 12/ tsp salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups butter softened
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 12/ cups dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 7 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
Dark Chocolate Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour three 9-inch cake round pans.
- Mix together flour, sugar, dark cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt with hand or stand mixer on low until combined.
- add eggs, buttermilk, warm water, oil, and vanilla. Beat at medium speed until smooth.
- Divide batter among the 3 pans. I will use a cup measure to divide evenly between the pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Don't over bake.
- Cool on wire racks for about 15 minutes and then turn out the cakes onto the racks to cool completely. Don't hurry this process.
Dark Chocolate Frosting
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and cream cheese until fluffy with a hand or stand mixer.
- Add in the dark cocoa powder and vanilla extract and beat on low until combined.
- Beat in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. You may need to add more powdered sugar if you like the taste sweeter. Add milk a little at a time as needed until the frosting is at spreadable consistency. The frosting should be thick for easy spreading.
* * * *
I’m just a country girl loving my geeky life with my wonderful husband, always taking pictures, getting my hands dirty in the garden, being crafty, exploring with travels and enjoying all this on a budget. But above all, living my faith as a child of God!