Its strawberry season here in Central Florida. The Strawberry Festival in Plant City is a huge event to go to. We haven’t been yet, but plan to next year.
I love making recipes with fresh veggies and fruits from our area when they are in season. So, the best thing to make with strawberries is Strawberry Shortcakes.
What I love to do is make the shortcake recipe, chop up the biscuits into small squares and build the most perfect dessert. So light and yummy. This is really easy to make even though its made from scratch. An elegant dessert or for the neighborhood BBQ. Each serving can be as small or as large as you like.
The batter for the shortcakes or sweet biscuits doesn’t take that long and if you have a food processor the work is done for you. If you don’t have a food processor, a pastry cutter will work great also. If you don’t have either, use the best utensils you have. Your fingers. Just grind the butter and flour between your fingers until it looks like course sand.
I have made this recipe with sugar substitutes before and it tastes great. Just remember to use a sugar substitute you can bake with in the biscuits. I also use light whipped cream and hubby never notices.
- 1 quart of Strawberries, sliced or quartered
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 8 tbsp of cold butter, sliced
- ⅔ cup half and half
- Whipped Cream
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F.
- Place your strawberries in a bowl with ¼ cup of sugar. Toss well and set aside or in the fridge for awhile.
- In a food processor, pulse together all the dry ingredients. Then pulse in the butter until it makes something that looks like coarse meal. Place mixture into a large bowl and add half and half and just blend with a fork or spatula. Don't over stir or it will make the biscuits tough.
- Turn dough out on a lightly floured surface and fold it over on itself a couple of times. Just enough to make sure it holds together. Pat the dough out to about ¾ inch thick and use a 3 inch biscuit cutter to cut your biscuits.
- Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and brush tops with some half and half and sprinkle a little sugar on top. Bake for 12 - 15 minutes or until the biscuits have risen and are just turning brown on top.
- Remove from oven to cool. Take a biscuit, slice in half and then cut into small cubes. Place some on a dish, then some of the strawberry mixture with juice, a bit of whipped cream and repeat. Garnish with a strawberry and some biscuit crumbs.
* * * *
Even though this post contains affiliate link, I want to pass on a product I have tested, use and love.