Muffins that are busting with flavors of orange and cranberries. Inspired by fall but great any time of the year.
Since hubby and I are trying to cut down on how much sugar we consume, I have been searching for recipes with a bit of sweetness to it and will maybe satisfy that urge.
Late in the year, here in Central Florida, its orange season and so I thought an orange-flavored muffin would be great and with it also being fall, how about something with cranberries in it. I have NEVER cooked with cranberries before because they are not a favorite of mine.
I found a few recipes and came up with my version of Cranberry Orange Muffins. I used craisins instead of cranberries and of course, I had to add dark chocolate morsels which only makes any recipe better.
Cranberry Orange Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 3/4 cup orange juice or juice of 1 large orange
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 bag of Ocean Spray Craisins
- 1/2 bag or more to taste Dark Chocolate Morsels
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts toasted
- cooking spray
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Set aside 1 tablespoon sugar. Combine flour, remaining sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl; make a well in the center of mixture.
- Combine rind, juice, oil, and egg in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Fold in cranberries and walnuts. Spoon batter into 16 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with reserved sugar.
- Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until the muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Run a knife or spatula around outer edge of each muffin cup. Carefully remove each muffin; place on a wire rack
* * * *
You may also enjoy these
I’m just a country girl loving my geeky life with my wonderful husband, always taking pictures, getting my hands dirty in the garden, being crafty, exploring with travels and enjoying all this on a budget. But above all, living my faith as a child of God!