I love a good casserole for the 2 of us. We can usually have a few meals from it and if needed, some can go in the freezer for a quick meal later or cut it in half for just one meal with a bit for leftovers the next day. The recipe is great for a family and serves many.
One of those recipes is Mexican Chicken Rice Casserole. It’s so yummy with ingredients we all usually have.
There is a rub for the chicken which gives it such a great flavor and depending on what salsa flavor you use, it could be mild to hot!! The chicken always comes out fork tender and I get to hear those 2 words every time I make this from hubby. It’s a keeper!!
Mexican Chicken Rice Casserole
RUB FOR CHICKEN
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn I use can corn
- 1 jar salsa
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- Juice and zest of 2 limes
- 1 cup uncooked, brown or white rice
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Fresh cilantro optional
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Mix all seasoning to make your rub. Once mixed, rub all over both sides of your chicken and set aside.
- Using a deep 9 x 13 casserole dish: mix beans, corn, salsa, chicken stock, water, lime juice, lime zest and uncooked rice. Stir until combined and then tuck your chicken into the mixture and push the chicken all the way to the bottom of the dish letting the rice surround them.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Uncover, top everything with shredded cheese and fresh chopped cilantro and put back in the oven at until cheese is melted and bubbly for about 10 minutes.
Items I used to make this recipe:
* * * *
I’m just a country girl loving my geeky life with my wonderful husband, always taking pictures, getting my hands dirty in the garden, being crafty, exploring with travels and enjoying all this on a budget. But above all, living my faith as a child of God!