Blog Prompt: Today is National Pie Day. Describe your favorite pie.
Wow, I have to pick??? I will list my fav pies, because I can’t choose.
1. Key Lime Pie
2. Jefferson Davis Pie
3. Apple Pie
4. Pecan Pie
5. Silk Pie
Little trivia – Key Lime Pie is not suppose to be green. I found that out living here in Florida. So, I will share with you a great recipe for Key Lime Pie
KEY LIME PIE
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (3 to 4 limes)
- 4 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 – 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 11 graham crackers
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
It’s easier to remove the lime zest from whole limes so I would start with that. Then I would cut the limes in half and squeeze out the juice being careful not to include any pits.
Put graham crackers in food processor to make into crumbs.
1. Whisk the egg yolks and lime zest together in a bowl until tinted light green. This takes about 2 minutes
2. Beat in milk, then juice and set aside at room temperature till it thickens.
3. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
4. Mix graham cracker crumbs and sugar in another bowl.
5. Add butter and stir with a fork until well blended.
6. Pour this mixture into a 9-inch pie pan and press over the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Try using the bottom of a measuring cup to make sure the graham cracker mixture forms a firm crust on the bottom of the pie pan.
7. Bake on the center rack for about 15 minutes until the crust is lightly brown, remove and let cool to room temperature.
8. Pour the lime filling into crust, spread evenly, and then bake for 15 minutes until the center sets, but still wiggles when shaken.
9. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.
10. Refrigerate for at least three hours until well chilled.
I like to add a bit of whip topping on top and I have used a premade crust in a crunch. There is also key lime juice you can buy. This sure is good in the summertime and when the key limes are in season.
Still looking for the perfect kit for all your wedding or Valentine pictures?Â Clever Crow Designs has a great kit called Altered Valentine just waiting for you to use.Â You can find it here.