I love the south of the border taste and why not make that with pasta. I thought this would be a great way to make a taco like dinner but stuffed in shells. My husband is not a fan of tacos because they are so messy. So this recipe ended up being a huge hit!!
Mexican Stuffed Shells
- 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 taco seasoning
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 16 jumbo pasta shells
- 1 1/2 cups salsa
- 1 cup taco sauce
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Monterrey jack cheese
- For toppings:
- 3 green onions
- Sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a pan brown the ground beef; add taco seasoning and prepare according to package directions. Add cream cheese, cover and simmer until cheese is melted. Stir together and mix well. Set aside and cool completely.
- While ground beef is cooking, cook the pasta shells according to package directions; drain. Set shells out individually on cutting board or baking sheet so that they don’t stick together.
- Pour salsa on bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Stuff each shell with 1-2 tablespoons of the meat mixture. Place shells in 9×13 pan open side up. Evenly cover shells with taco sauce. Cover dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, add shredded cheese and bake for 10-15 more minutes with the foil removed. Top with green onions or olives if desired. Serve with sour cream and/or more salsa.
Here is my version of Taco Seasoning Mix that I use in so many recipes.
- 2/3 tablespoon paprika
- 2/3 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 1/3 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1/3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/3 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/3 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- Combine together in a container with a tight-fitting lid.
* * * *
I’m just a country girl loving my geeky life with my wonderful husband, always taking pictures, getting my hands dirty in the garden, being crafty, exploring with travels and enjoying all this on a budget. But above all, living my faith as a child of God!