Blog Prompt: Blog Prompt: January is National Soup Month. What is your favorite soup and why?
What a great prompt for today when its been in the 20’s all this week in Central Florida!! So cold and I so could use some really good soup. I have been racking my brain this week to find a great recipe for some good soup and thought I would share this really good chili recipe. I have made it many times and is the best chili recipe I have come across. It comes from the Neely’s in Memphis.
Pats Famous Beef and Pork Chili
* 6 slices of bacon, chopped
* 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 2 medium onions, finely chopped
* 1 red bell pepper, chopped
* 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
* 3 tablespoons chili powder
* 1 tablespoon ground cumin
* 1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder (I use regular chili powder)
* 2 teaspoons dried oregano
* 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 1 pound 85 percent lean ground beef
* 1 pound ground pork
* 1 cup beer (recommended: Budweiser)
* 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
* 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
* 1 (24-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
* 1 (24-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
* Lime wedges, for garnish
* Sour cream, for garnish
* Shredded Cheddar, for garnish
* Sliced scallions, for garnish
In large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until lightly crisp, stirring occasionally. Once the bacon is browned, add the garlic, onions, bell peppers, chili powder, cumin, chipotle chili powder, oregano, and smoked paprika and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook until the vegetables are tender and seasonings are aromatic. Add the beef and break it up with a wooden spoon. Once beef is broken up and beginning to brown, add the pork. Break up with wooden spoon like the beef, and brown, until no longer pink, roughly 4 minutes. Stir in the beer and beans. Toss together, then add the crushed and diced tomatoes. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper, if necessary. Transfer the chili to serving bowls and garnish with lime wedges, sour cream, shredded cheese, and sliced scallions.
I hope everyone shares a great soup recipe too.
Have a great day and stay warm,